US President Donald Trump said Saturday he will allow long blocked secret files on the assassination of John F Kennedy to be opened to the public for the first time.
The November 22, 1963 assassination, an epochal event in modern US history, has spawned multiple theories challenging the official version that Kennedy was killed a lone gunman, Lee Harvey Oswald.
Trump’s tweet comes as he is staring down an October 26 deadline set in law by Congress mandating the public release of the still-secret documents including FBI and CIA files barring any action by the President to block the release of certain documents.
“Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened,” Trump said, appearing to leave open the possibility that some documents could still be withheld.
The files are due to be opened in their entirety Thursday nearly 54 years after Kennedy’s assassination in Dallas unless the US president decides otherwise.
Millions of classified Kennedy files have been made public under a 1992 law passed in response to a surge in public demand for disclosure in the wake of Oliver Stone’s conspiracy-heavy movie on the assassination.
Congress stipulated that the secret documents be released by October 26, pending any action by the president to redact or block the release of any specific documents, CNN reported. It’s possible that some documents could still be withheld.
Trump himself tapped into the public fascination with the case during last year’s presidential campaign, bizarrely linking Republican rival Senator Ted Cruz’s father to the Kennedy assassination.
Conspiracy theories about his murder have swirled ever since.
Image Source: Keystone-France—Gamma-Keystone/Getty Images